like us on facebook
follow us on twitter
© The Old Bridge inn
Priest Lane, Ripponden, HX6 4DF
All Rights Reserved
Site by Customer Solutions (UK) Limited
Providers of Halifax Food Guide
Bar Opening Times
Sunday 12.00am -
Food Service Times
Dinner Mon -
Fri & Sat 12-
Our earliest record of the Old Bridge Inn is from 1307. It was then the home of the early Yeoman Clothier Robert of Brigge of Soland whose descendants built many fine houses in the area, including Somerset House in George Street, Halifax.
The lower bar is of cruck frame construction, whilst the top bar is typical of a very early yeoman clothiers' construction complete with outshut, plank and muntin and wattle and daub walls, some later encased in stone.
The family owned a small fulling mill on the opposite bank of the River Ryburn and Cicely, wife of Elias the walker was fined 3d for brewing contrary to the assize: Our part of the Manor of Wakefield was very much a dual economy area, and the land of little agricultural value. Tenants had to take to weaving cloth or brewing ale and so on to improve their lot.
Situated next to the River Ryburn, and on the main York to Chester road, the inn would provide a welcome repose for the weary traveller. Before there was a bridge, the river was forded and very much prone to flooding. What better way to while away a flood than over a flagon of ale?